Paleo Pork Tacos
We LOVE tacos in our home. Matthew is particularly fond of anything Mexican, but we needed to move away from the beans and corn that come in traditional tacos or other Mexican fare. That is when we decided to make Paleo Pork Tacos. I love the idea of using lettuce cups instead of tortillas. There are so many great reasons to love this change. First it is low calorie for people like me that are watching their calorie intake. Secondly it is super low in carbohydrates, again for people like me that may have diabetes or other reasons to stay away from simple carbohydrates. Thirdly, they meet the Paleo criteria which allows you to stay on a Paleo diet easily (the lettuce cup is a great Paleo trick ~ been around for ages). Lastly, the kids love it. They think it is neat to eat their food all rolled up in lettuce leaves. A bit messy, but who cares?
My husband loves pork tacos so I opted to use our pork he ground for us a few weeks ago when he smoked us a pork shoulder. These tacos turned out flavorful, not too spicy for little ones, and just perfect for a quick evening dinner. I hope you like them as much as we do. Feel free to adjust the spice, or throw some Cholula on the table so people can spice theirs up as they like.
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 Tablespoon Chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb pork, ground
- lime juice from ½ a lime
- cilantro, chopped
- lettuce, leave cut out to make cups
- tomato, chopped
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Melt coconut oil.
- Once hot, saute onions and peppers until onions begin to caramelize.
- Add seasonings and cook for a few minutes.
- Add pork and cook until pork is thoroughly cooked.
- Add lime juice.
- Add cilantro and cook a few minutes more.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve in lettuce cups topped with tomatoes.
- Wrap lettuce around filling like a burrito.