Since I started Weight Watchers a few weeks ago I have lost 6 lbs. One of the things that I think is very different this time around (yep, I’ve tried WW before) is that I am only eating REAL food like this Braised Brussel Sprouts Recipe. None of the packaged stuff for me. I have noticed that I don’t have the nagging hunger like I had with diets where I used pre-packaged foods. I think it is because I can control my blood sugar by eating a lot more lean protein. My husband and I have been moving toward a more Paleo type diet for years. Since we started Matthew down the path of biomedical healing, and we have seen the success that comes with proper diet, we have been slowly making our way to this sort of lifestyle.
The New Motivation
Just last week I went to visit an endocrinologist. I thought I had an under active thyroid and I wanted him to confirm it. But that isn’t quite how it played out. He thinks I may be a diabetic. I have had gestational diabetes with all three pregnancies and type 2 diabetes runs in my family, so I’m not overly surprised. But I have NOT happy about this. So that is a huge motivation to lose this weight and eat right.
Braised Brussel Sprouts
- 1 lb Brussel Sprouts, cleaned and cut in half
- 1 small onion, diced
- Coconut oil (several tablespoons – I used about 4)
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ cup red wine (controversial item may or may not be paleo)
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Melt coconut oil.
- Cook the Brussel Sprouts, onions and allspice until they the vegetables have started to caramelize.
- Add the red wine, red wine vinegar and honey.
- Adjust heat so that the sauce thickens and coats the sprouts.