Do you ever feel like your kids (or maybe your hubby) deserve a little Christmas Coal in their stockings? I decided to whip up some all natural Christmas coal recipe just for this kind of occasion. I wanted something sweet but not made of refined sugar and something that was easy to make. I used apple juice and vanilla, but you could try other fruit juices and flavor it with extracts like anise, peppermint or even almond.
- 4 Cups apple juice (or other juice with high sugar content like pineapple or maybe even prune)
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon extract of choice (anise, peppermint, or almond) (OPTIONAL)
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring apple juice to a light boil.
- Simmer for close to ½ hour or until juice is reduced to roughly ½ cup.
- Watch as juice thickens and stir to prevent burning.
- Once juice is thick, and has darkened but not burnt, remove from heat and add coconut oil, salt and vanilla.
- Using a whisk stir to incorporate the ingredients.
- Pour out onto a Silpat or parchment paper.
- Caramel is HOT!
- As it cools you can shape it into nuggets, I like to use kitchen sheers to cut the caramel and form it.
This recipe is based on a recipe I found here